Monday, January 25, 2016

JL #42 "Universal Heroes" Forward (1)

Well here we are, fellow ghoulies, about to get to the long-awaited but long-delayed "Universal Heroes" issue of my Justice League!
But before we get to it, let's talk about the story-behind-the-story.


I have always loved the Universal Studio Monsters. When I was a kid I watched the movies on KPLR Channel Eleven's weekend shows. I had the glow-in-the-dark model kits. I read all about them at the library.
Who else had these? 
Then I forgot them for a few years. Until I read Super Friends #10, which featured several Justice Leaguers fighting some of the Universal Studios Monsters. It was a nice idea, and when I started re-doing my Justice League stories I decided to adapt that story for my purposes.

When I told others what I was doing, I was met with almost (ahem) Universal love of these characters. My creative friends Andy Kapellusch, Tim Wallace, and Corey Hodgdon all asked to help out with This Very Special Issue. In fact, originally I wanted to do this issue with a different artist handling the different chapters! But eventually, after Andy begged asked to do it all, I got pin-ups and covers from Tim and Corey.

And that is what you will get tomorrow, before the actual comic goes live on Comic Book Wednesday!

In the meantime, here's *my* cover illustration, based in-part on that Aurora model ad from above!


No comments:

Post a Comment