Tuesday, August 9, 2016

TV Guide: Carol Burnett Show (May 4,1968)


Continuing the story from last week, when I found this issue of TV Guide for sale at an antique mall, even though it was wrapped in plastic I just knew that I would love it for the promised Mission: Impossible article inside.

What I did not know was that besides the other three "featured" articles as listed on the cover, this issue also featured an un-heralded interview slash profile of rising new star Vicki Lawrence, from The Carol Burnett Show!

Major bonus points!!



I of course dove into the profile of Vicki Lawrence as soon as I saw it. I have read Carol Burnett's autobiography This Time Together, and Vicki Lawrence's book,  Vicki! The True-Life Adventures of Miss Fireball, too, so I am already familiar with the basic facts of her "discovery." Although there was nothing really new for me here, it was still cool to read about it as if it were happening in "real" time.

Here is the profile in its entirety by Leslie Raddatz. Cover photo by Phillippe Halsman. Photo of Vicki & Carol is uncredited.




Coincidentally, today August 9 is the 38th anniversary of the last airing of the original Carol Burnett Show on August 9, 1978.

As I was flipping through the rest of the TV Guide, MORE than satisfied with what I had found, I came across one more article....which I'll talk about next week!

1 comment:

  1. Fun to read. I've always found 2nd person singular a little ominous, though.

    jbs

    ReplyDelete