Monday, September 16, 2013

One Hit Wonder "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

I hear this song every once in awhile. I didn't hear it when it was new (1995) because I was still living in Japan and it didn't get any airplay there. However after I came back to the States I would hear it on the radio sometimes and I finally tracked down a copy for my ipod.

Do you know the song? It's by a group from Texas called Deep Blue Something. That's kind of a stupid name, but I guess bands have the prerogative to call themselves stupid names if they want. The band started out as Leper Messiah, so I guess Deep Blue Something is an improvement.

Two brothers got together with buddies at the University of North Texas and started playing gigs. Todd Pipes wrote the song about the Audrey Hepburn film Roman Holiday, but he didn't think that sounded as good as a title as the film made from the Truman Capote short story. As the song was rising on the charts the brothers and friends were deciding not to continue as a band; they officially broke up in 2001. "Breakfast at Tiffany's" got as high as No. 5 on the US chart, although it went all the way to No. 1 in the United Kingdom.


I like it. I've read that it didn't have a stellar critical reaction when it came out, but somehow the song gets to me. It's at heart about wanting to create or maintain a relationship with another person. If you say we have nothing in common, it's just not true. If we look close enough, there is always *something* we share. Even if it's something that sounds as trivial as liking the same movie or kinds of movies....well that's something, isn't it? If I like comedies and you like action movies, we aren't necessarily going to get along....unless we talk about the stories, and the lighting, and the pace, etcetera. I'm over-thinking this, I know, but only to make a point.
A: He likes comedies, I like action.
B: We have nothing in common.
C: You both like movies, don't you?
 
Whenever I hear this song, it gives me hope. Hope that we as a nation, or even as a world, can maybe start looking for things we hold in common instead of always looking for things that divide us.

And as an extra bonus both Audrey Hepburn films, Roman Holiday and Breakfast at Tiffany's, are excellent and you should watch them. 

That's my chipper message for this Monday! Enjoy the song and a kinda cute video.


No comments:

Post a Comment