Monday, May 12, 2014

JL #34 "Cross-Cultural Crisis Exchange!" Forward


Welcome to the 34th issue of my Justice League series, my favorite so far of the four I have completed. 

This issue was actually the first issue I started writing, about a year ago, when I was toying with the idea of re-starting this series. I didn't like the one and only JLA-JSA (Justice Society of America) team-up I had done back in the Nineties (issues 21-22, see link on the right to read them if you haven't already). So I knew that I wanted to do another JSA team-up if I committed to doing these comics again. 

And I knew I could use that story as a template to start re-writing these, following the pacing and layout standards that I was already familiar with. Story-wise, originally I thought of following just one group of characters to one Earth, but then I couldn't decide which group to spotlight! Then I hit on the idea of doing *both* sides of the story, and it started falling into place....as you will see, and hopefully agree. 

There's not a lot I can say before you read the story because I don't want to spoil anything. However, I can say that for the first time in these three issues, the cover gave me a problem. Should I spotlight one of the teams' actual action scenes? If so, which one? Should I do a "poster" type of the JLA and or the JSA? I didn't have a strong notion either way. 

I was still in a quandary until November, when the great Nick Cardy passed on. Looking over some of his classic art, including his classic JLA covers, I came across JUSTICE LEAGUE #107. I suddenly saw this image re-imagined for my needs. Let me know what you think. Please note that I used as many of the same characters as I could, only replacing Green Lantern with Wonder Woman. Dr. Fate and Sandman (if you know who they are) simply moved down, not out. :-)  



No comments:

Post a Comment