Tuesday, November 17, 2015

JL #41 "The Mystery of the Fiery Eyes!" Forward

I don't know when I hit upon the idea of teaming the Justice League with the Three Investigators. The plot of this story came to me as a mystery, and as soon as I thought of the JLAers breaking up into teams I must have realized three teams = Three Investigators.... and I went from there.

Right from the beginning this was going to start with a Welcome Back to Earth lunch for the Hawks (Hawkman and Hawkwoman just returned from their native Thanagar two issues ago). Originally I had the Elongated Man and Red Tornado as part of this group, but when I hit upon the idea of splitting these teams up with the last issue's menace of Brain Storm, I realized that I couldn't use Ralph. After all, he was kidnapped by Brain Storm, remember? Then I remembered that in the Silver Age the Flash and Green Lantern were portrayed as good friends, and from there I got my six members.

Just to show that these adventures were happening simultaneously, I also included this scene in the previous issue....

Everybody remember this set up from two months ago? ;-)

I have a LOT to talk about in the Afterward, but for now I'd just say a few words about the cover. Do you know who the Three Investigators are? Click here to read all about them. Basically, they were teen-age detectives living outside of Hollywood. In reality, they were the stars of a series of novels for young readers and their adventures were much more interesting than the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew! They started in the mid Sixties as a surprint of the Alfred Hitchcock mystery and suspense books of that era; the great director himself was a supporting character in the first 20 or so books. Their series was then reprinted in trade paperback in the mid-Seventies. These covers bore fantastic illustrations by an artist named Stephen Marchesi. Here is one of my favorite covers of his:

And....here is the cover for tomorrow's adventure. I tried quite a few different designs before settling on this one. I really like how it turned out. I hope you like it, too, and the story that goes along with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment