Tuesday, September 30, 2014

TV 50 Years Ago

Was 1964 the greatest year in television history? Well, no. I'm not going to argue that. But I will suggest that it was pretty darn special. Take a look at the following shows that made their debuts in the fall of 1964 right around the same time I made *my* initial curtain call and tell me you don't recognize more than a few of these shows.

NEW in 1964:
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
Bewitched
The Munsters
Daniel Boone
Jonny Quest
The Addams Family
Gomer Pyle
Gilligan's Island
Flipper
Underdog

And of course there are these shows which were not brand new that year but were still on the air with first-run episodes:
Wagon Train
My Favorite Martian
Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color
Bonanza
The Fugitive
The Red Skelton Show
The Alfred Hitchcock Show
Peyton Place
The Andy Griffith Show
The Lucy Show
Petticoat Junction
The Beverly Hillbillies
The Dick Van Dyke Show
The Patty Duke Show
The Flintstones
The Donna Reed Show
My Three Sons
Perry Mason
Hazel
Rawhide
The Jack Benny Show
The Lawrence Welk Show
Outer Limits
Gunsmoke
The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson

So...yeah...the fall of 1964 seems like it was a pretty good time. A bit on the black and white side, but Color TV was just around the corner...! 

No comments:

Post a Comment