Monday, December 5, 2011

One Hit Wonders? Blues Traveler "Run Around"

I put a question mark in the title of this post because evidently this band had another hit called "Hook," but several years later, I can't remember ever hearing it on the radio.

Blues Traveler got popular during the 90s while I was in Japan. I first heard of them and this song when I came back to the States in 2001. I bought a CD called "PURE NINETIES" that included this song. I fell in love with it immediately. It's one of those songs that I want to *listen* to every time I hear it because I don't know all the words. There's something about a "nervous Magician waiting in the wings" and "I like coffee and I like tea but to be able to enter a final plea" but I can't "catch" all of the words each time. 

The first time I watched this video I thought, "Wow, this band is REALLY bad at lip-synching...." and didn't care too much for the Wizard of Oz rip-off. As I watched it, though, it occurred to me that the "unattractive" guys behind the curtain are the "real" Blues Traveler and the "grunge" band on stage is their cover? That's pretty clever. I approve.

But it's the song, not the video, that I love. Every time I hear it I CRANK it and try to sing along...atleast on the chorus! Ready....? Let's go....!
"Why you wanna give me a run-around?
A sure-fire way to speed things up when all it does is slow me down?" YEAH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment