Monday, January 28, 2013

Happy Birthday, Amadeus! Rock Me!!

Yesterday January 27, 1756 was the 257th birthday of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. He is some obscure musician from Vienna. Perhaps you've heard of him.

My mother loves classical music and operas so we always had that type of music playing in the house. I do not have a whole lot of self-confidence when trying to recognize composers, but of the many that have any claim to fame I know Mozart, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky the best. I saw the movie "Amadeus" several times when I lived in Japan and its soundtrack was the first classical music I ever bought.

At about the same time as the move "Amadeus" was winning eight Academy Awards (including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Art Direction) Austrian pop singer Falco co-wrote and recorded a song he called, "Rock Me Amadeus."   I heard this when I was in Japan and thought it was fantastic. For me, and probably for thousands of others, the movie and this song are inextricably linked.

So here's something for us all: a trailer from the movie, and the video of the song. Enjoy! 

 If you haven't seen this yet, you should borrow it from the library. It is an excellent film!



No comments:

Post a Comment