Monday, May 13, 2013

Happy Birthday, Stevie Wonder!

Steveland Morris was born blind on May 13, 1950, in Sagenaw, Michigan. Twelve years later he was called Little Stevie Wonder and had the Number One song in the nation, "Fingertips (Part 2)".
Stevie Wonder has been responsible for a large chunk of the music of my life. From "Fingertips (Part 2)" in 1963 to his mid-Sixties hits like "Signed, Sealed, Delivered,"  For Once In My Life," and "I Was Made to Love Her" to his Seventies hits like "Superstition," "You Haven't Done Nothing," and "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" to his Eighties hits like "Ebony & Ivory," "I Just Called To Say I Love You," and "Part-Time Lover," Stevie Wonder crafted songs that can place me at a certain moment in time for all of my youth. Although he is not the presence in popular music that he used to be, he still sells with Adult Contemporary (my gosh, is that *my* demographic now?). He has been a musically creative force for fifty years.
If you haven't listened to any Stevie Wonder music lately, get to your public library or music store and borrow or buy Stevie Wonder Song Review. It doesn't have everything, but it has most of them. I don't have any "favorite" Stevie Wonder song; I have several, and except for "Happy Birthday" all of them are on this album!
 

Happy Birthday, Stevie Wonder!
 
Here's something I didn't know existed....
Stevie Wonder doing "Superstition"
on Sesame Street!!

No comments:

Post a Comment