Monday, October 7, 2013

Happy Birthday, John Mellencamp!

John "Cougar" Mellencamp was born on October 7, 1951. That makes him 62 years old. Can you believe it? I listened to him back in high school and college, and that was only...er....a few years ago!

For a few years John Mellencamp and Bruce Springsteen seemed to represent the Echelon of US Rock and Rollers. Their songs were popular and fun, and they were everywhere. Then I guess their moment in the spotlight ended, and now they have become Elder Statesmen.

I used to live in Indiana, where Mellencamp is from. My daughter and I used to joke that whenever we went back to visit friends, we would be sure to hear atleast one John Mellencamp song. I do still like listening to his stuff. Here's one of his most political songs, "Peaceful World," and one of his last big hits, from 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment