Thursday, October 10, 2013

RIP Christopher Reeve

I don't remember where I was when I heard that Christopher Reeve had passed on. I remember reading about his horse-riding accident in 1995 and being saddened by it. (I was still living in Japan at the time.) I also remember watching him on several episodes of SMALLVILLE as the mysterious Dr. Swann and thinking how brave he was. Later I watched him in a remake of Alfred Hitchcock's famous thriller REAR WINDOW and thought it was wonderful.

Although I don't remember where I was when I heard that he had died, I remember very distinctly standing in my kitchen dining room and reading the obituary about him on October 11, 2005. I cried my eyes out. For some reason, reading how he had lost his battle against his spinal injury made me very sad. Not just because he had played Superman, but because he had battled his injury with class and style. He seemed to be a true gentleman. It seemed like we lost him way too soon. He was only 52.

If you only know Christopher Reeve from the SUPERMAN movies you should also see some of his other films. I especially recommend DEATHTRAP, SOMEWHERE IN TIME, STREET SMART, and NOISES OFF. All of these are completely different from the Clark Kent/Superman persona, and each is entertaining in its own way.

I'm going to blast the music to SUPERMAN in my car to and from work today, and maybe I'll shed a tear for all those heroes who lose their battles, but never give up while doing it.

RIP CHRISTOPHER REEVE
1952-2004






No comments:

Post a Comment