Sunday, June 9, 2013

Happy Birthday, Donald Duck!

According to Walt Disney Company, the character Donald Duck made his debut on June 9, 1934, and that is marked as his official birthday. There is also some talk that his birthday is in November (he had a 50th Birthday TV Special in November 1984) but I couldn't find out why or where that date is supposed to come from.

Donald Duck made his debut in the Silly Symphony cartoon, "Wise Little Hen." It was released on June 9, 1934, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Donald was never my favorite character, but I always liked watching his cartoons. What I mean by that is, he had a rich history what with his Uncle Scrooge McDuck and his girl-friend Daisy and his nephews Huey, Dewey, and Louie. He also faced off with great adversaries like Chip & Dale, a hungry elephant named Dolores, and society in general. I think my favorite Disney cartoons were the ones where Mickey, Goofy, and Donald teamed-up: that way there really was something for everybody.

I leave you with three of my favorite Donald moments.

Happy Birthday, Donald!
 
His debut feature: he appears at the 2 minute mark
(co-starring with Peter "Porky" Pig!!)
 
Mickey's Trailer (1938)
 
One of Donald's Academy Award-winning shorts,
Der Fuehrer's Face (1942)



No comments:

Post a Comment