Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never Forget: September 11, 2012


I refuse to call today "Patriot Day." What a god-awful name for a god-awful day. The name doesn't come close to meaning ANYTHING, and my guess is that it will eventually fade away. We don't have a name for Dec 7; nor do we need one.

Instead I will call it September 11. I apologize for all of those people whose birthday is actually today. (I know two people personally.)

It is best to remember that Evil is everywhere. It strikes best suddenly, when Good isn't ready for it. We must be forever vigil to guard against another such evil act occurring again. Say what you want about Presidents Bush and Obama, but nothing like this has ever happened since 9-11. So kudos to them for that, at least.

Let's also remember that heroes are not football players or any other sports figures. Heroes are those people who risk their lives for others; be they fire-fighters or police officers or the military. When I first saw this image by artist Alex Ross, it took my breath away. This is how it should be.


Later I came across this image, with some of the heroes of the Marvel Universe. They may not be members of the Avengers or the Fantastic Four, but all of them are Heroes.

Lastly, the best song that came out of that day. No jingo-ism here and no agenda. Just an average Joe trying to make sense of the senseless. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Alan Jackson:





A moment of silence for all those who perished on September 11, 2001


Now go hug your loved ones and tell them you love them. That's what I'm going to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment