Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dick Smothers!

I grew up idolizing The Smothers Brothers, but I didn't really know why. By the time I was cognizant they had been removed from their television variety show for many years. They were still around on other variety shows and specials etc, and whenever they appeared my parents took notice. My parents liked them very much, and what you have to understand is that my parents did not like just *anybody* on television. They also liked things like The Carol Burnett Show, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, and MASH, if that gives you any idea as to their taste in pop culture. Anyway,  I knew who The Smothers Brothers were waaaay before I knew that they were funny.

Several years ago I finally tracked down and listened to some of their comedy routines and watched some of their old shows or appearances on shows like The Ed Sullivan Show. Guess what? They WERE funny! I have since watched their DVD collections and read the book about their fights with the CBS network. In a special slash difficult time, they were men with class.

Today is Dick Smothers' birthday. He was born on November 20, 1939 in New York City. He's the "straight man" with the bass who plays off his older brother Tom's lunacy. Plus he's a hell of a harmonizer, a drag car racer, and a musician. For the past several years, he's been running their vineyard in California. 

Happy Birthday, Dick Smothers! 
Many Happy Returns!




No comments:

Post a Comment