Monday, November 26, 2012

Native American Heritage Month "Half-Breed"

To close out our month-long "Musical Salute to Native Americans," I want to present probably one of the best anti-racist songs that I have ever heard.

"Half-Breed" was written by Mary Dean and Al Capps. It tells the story of a daughter of a white man and a Cherokee woman. The lyrics have some of the harshest images I have ever heard in a Number One song. Before you listen (and are distracted by Cher's lack of apparel, consider this: )
....My mother's people were ashamed of me 
The Indians said that I was white by law
The white man always called me indian squaw
Half-breed that's all I ever heard 
Half breed  how i learned the hated word
Half breed she's no good to no one
Both sides were against me since the day I was born
...The other children always laughed at me 
Give her a feather she's a Cherokee

Luckily we do not live in quite as racist a society as we used to. Sure, there is still racism out there. I am not naive. On the other hand, I see mixed couples everywhere I go (in Columbus, Ohio). It makes me happy.

Now, with no further ado, here is the one and only Cher.
From the Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour 1973

No comments:

Post a Comment