Monday, November 19, 2012

Happy Birthday, Steve Lightle!

Today November 19 is Steve Lightle's 53rd birthday. You're as old as my older sister, Steve! Congratulations!  ;-)

I first came across Mr. Lightle when he took over LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES from Keith Giffen. Steve came aboard just in time to illustrate the awesome Legion of Super-Villains story arc. This story, of course, featured the rare death of a Legionnaire. I have read that Steve was unhappy with this story because the character Keith Giffen hated and plotted to kill with LEGION writer Paul Levitz was actually one of Steve's *favorite* characters! Welcome to the big time, kid...now kill your favorite!

Still, Steve stayed with the LEGION long enough to design three count' em three of their most distinguished characters: Quislet (who lived inside his tiny space ship) and two of my all-time favorites, Sensor Girl and Tellus. Sensor Girl was, obviously, one of the few masked Legionnaires. Tellus was, equally obviously, the very first non-humanoid Legionnaire.

After Steve left the LEGION he took on THE DOOM PATROL for several issues. Then he left DC and worked for MARVEL. This was when I was living in Japan, so I haven't seen most of his XMEN and WOLVERINE work from this period.

Now he has his own stable of characters, which are available at Lunatick Press. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, STEVE LIGHTLE! 
Many happy returns! 









  

 
I LOVE the Justice Society!!
 
Aquaman
my favorite, by one of my favorites!  

No comments:

Post a Comment