Friday, March 8, 2013

Happy Birthday, Micky Dolenz!

Micky Dolenz was born on March 8, 1945. When he was ten years old he starred as "Corky" on the TV series, CIRCUS BOY (1956-1958). Nearly ten years later he had his second overnight success as "Mickey" on THE MONKEES. You've probably heard of him.

I know a lot of people liked Davy Jones best, but Micky was always MY favorite Monkee. Even when his hair started frizzing out at the end of the first season and then became a full-fledged white-fro in the second season, he was my favorite. Evidently his hair was naturally curly, and he had it straighted during the first year. Well, if anybody is keeping tabs, I always liked "straight-hair" Micky over "frizzled curly-hair" Mickey, haha.

What attracted me to him is probably what attracted millions of others: his crazy comedic sense. Mike was the leader; Davy was the romantic; Peter was the naive waif; but Micky was the comedian. How often would he break into mimicry of James Cagney (I didn't even knew who he was at the time!)  or do a double-take as a reaction to something some other Monkee said!? And of course, Micky was "the voice." For one reason or another, he sang most of the Monkees' leads, so to many he was the voice of The Monkees. 

A few years ago when I was still living in Indiana a friend had tickets to the Tim Rice-Elton John musical, AIDA. She had no one else to go with, so she asked me. I grudgingly went, not knowing anything about the show or the production. Well, Micky Dolenz was "the father" in that show and he did a hell of a great job. Both of us enjoyed ourselves immensely, and I am still thankful I went.

Happy Birthday, Micky Dolenz!
Many Happy Returns!


 
The members of The Monkees recieve a STAR
on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1989.

 
 Micky Dolenz as "Zolar" in AIDA




 My all-time favorite Monkees song!
video is from a first season episode performance of the song

No comments:

Post a Comment