Friday, March 1, 2013

Ken-Bun-Ki "My hobby is..."

 Note: "Russell's Ken-Bun-Ki" is a series of articles I wrote for my Japanese City Hall newsletter back in 1996-97. They were articles about life in America or life in Japan as experienced by an American. This one is from February 20, 1997. 

Whenever I am asked, "What is your hobby?" I answer, "Reading." However, that isn't the only hobby I have. I enjoy listening to music, watching movies and television, I write, and I draw pictures. Also, whenever I am asked, "What kind of music do you like?" I don't know how to answer. This is because I like all types of music, including pop, rock, rap, instrumentals, jazz, and country. For movies, if there is a good story I will watch any type of film. Books are the same way. I don't just read science fiction, suspense, or romance novels; I also have an interest in biographies and historical dramas.

These hobbies help me relieve stress. I also like to do jigsaw puzzles. It's like a game, to look at the little pieces and put them together to form a larger image. I can lose myself in doing this for hours. It's a great stress relief.

I also have many things I would love to try. For example, I want to travel the world, I want to study another language besides Japanese, I want to write a picture book, and so many other things. however, life is short and I'm sure I won't be able to do everything I would like to. In this world there are some people who know all about their specific area of expertise but have no common sense. Instead of that, I'd like to look at everything with a sense of wonder. I think it's better to live my life with an interest in everything. I want to challenge myself as much as I can.

Post-Script
Well, since I wrote this 16 years ago I *have* studied another language (Korean) and given it up because it was too difficult/close to Japanese for me to remember. I can still read some hangul, though. I haven't traveled the world yet, but I have seen a lot more of the United States and Japan. I started a book but haven't finished; it wasn't a picture book, though. 
Let's all "live like we were dying." It's more fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment