Monday, March 26, 2012

WHM 2012 Taylor Swift "Mean"

I was trying to think of a current female artist who is recording now who represents/embodies some of the same qualities and talents that I have been introducing here over the past month. There are plenty of possibilities, but I decided to go wih Taylor Swift.

Now I'm not going to write up any pseudo biography of her. I don't know anything about her except that she is awesomely talented. I first heard her (and didn't like her!) when she hit big in 2008 with "Love Story." Then in the next year she became hugely popular with her smash hit, "You Belong With Me." I'm not a big fan of music videos (mostly because they don't play them on TV, and I'm not going to sit in front of the computer and watch them!) but I had heard that her video was adorable, so I went In Search Of. If you haven't seen it, here is the link. I recommend it. (It also has a wonderful "gay" version by the University of Rochester acapella group The Yellow Jackets. You can watch their official parody version  here.) Anyway, I really liked this song and never got tired of hearing it. In fact, I actually bought a copy of it. So, yeah, I really liked it. :-)

She of course was involved with Kanye West at the 2009 MTV Music Awards show when she won Best Female Video for "You Belong With Me." He infamously interrupted her acceptance speech to tell her that Beyonce should have won. He came off as an ass, but she handled the whole thing with class.

I think she is just starting to have a real effect on the music business. I look forward to seeing and hearing more of her in the future.

Here she is with her band performing "Mean," on the 54th Annual Grammy Awards Show on February 12, 2012. Watch until the very end and you'll see her look of awe when the audience gives her a standing ovation. It's just delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment