Monday, April 30, 2012

JAZZ Appreciation Month: Duke Ellington

To finish my first annual Jazz Appreciation month here at FoJ, I'm bringing you what I consider the best known jazz instrumental in the USA: "Take The 'A' Train" by Duke Ellington! I knew this song for YEARS before I knew what the name of it was, and then I didn't know who had the definitive version for another few years.

If you don't believe that this is a well-known song, go up to anybody who says they know music and hum some of it to them. My strong belief is that they'll say, "Oh, yeah, I've heard that."

What is ironic for me is that in my studies of jazz I haven't found anything else by Duke Ellington that I like anywhere near as much as I like this! Haha! Sorry, Sir Duke!



Speaking of which....as an extra candle on the cake as we end Jazz Appreciation here, I present  Stevie Wonder doing his smash hit "Sir Duke," which hit #1 in the USA in May 1977.

No comments:

Post a Comment