Saturday, December 22, 2012

Happy Birthday, Tony Isabella!

Today December 22 is comic-book writer and historian Tony Isabella's birthday. Never heard of him? Well, how about Black Lightning, have you heard of *him*? Tony created him. Ever heard of Hawkman and Hawkwoman? Tony wrote their best comic-book series, SHADOW WAR OF HAWKMAN. In his long career Tony has also written Captain America, Daredevil, Luke Cage (Power Man), The Avengers, and also created/helped create Tigra and Black Goliath. He had a memorable run on Marvel's GHOST RIDER, and although that character never did anything for me, what I've read about Tony's run on that series makes me think I probably would have liked it.

Go to amazon.com and type in TONY ISABELLA and you are guaranteed to find something entertaining!


In 2009 Tony published 1000 Comic Books You Must Read. It's a fun read about all the major "milestones" over the past fifty years and also lists plenty of stories that are just plain fun. If you like comics or are looking for a gift for anybody else who likes comics, you can't go wrong with this book. 

Tony Isabella lives in Cleveland, so for many years has appeared at the Mid-Ohio Comic Convention in Columbus. This is where I had the honor to meet him and chat with him a few times. He is a great guy to talk to and has plenty of wonderful stories. He also autographed my Black Lightning action figure, which I am looking at as I write this. Tony is a cool guy.

Tony is working to get back in the swing of things, so has toned down his presence on-line. However, his Tony's On-Line Tips column is still on-line, from 2001-2010 if you would like to read some of his comic reviews and commentary go here: Tony's On-Line Tips

Happy Birthday, Tony Isabella! 
Tony's classic run on GR
For years this was my favorite Tony series
My all-time favorite "take" on these characters
Tony's favorite story he has ever written


Tony and "his creation"at MOC in 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment