Sunday, December 30, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mike and Davy!

Believe it or not, today (December 30) is the birthday of TWO members of The Monkees... Michael Nesmith  was born on December 30, 1942 and Davy Jones on 30 December 1945 (because he's British, don'tcha know). Of course, we lost Davy this past February at the age of 66.

When I was a kid I used to watch The Monkees on TV all the time. I listened to my sisters' Monkees' albums and became a second generation fan. I think I believed that they were a real group on a real show, much  more than I believed in, say, Mr. Spock really flying around the universe on Star Trek. I never bought into the idea that these guys were not talented; I mean, I saw singers lip-synching on American Bandstand etc all the time. To me they were true musicians, and I believe that they belong in The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; more so, in fact, than some of the acts that the jury has already inducted.

Unfortunately, Davy didn't live long enough for this one last accolade. All he had was the love of millions of people around the world. And as we toast Mr. Michael Nesmith on his reaching the epic 7-0 this year, we must light a candle for our dear departed Davy.

I leave you with two of my favorites of their songs....

Happy Birthday, Mike Nesmith and Davy Jones! 



No comments:

Post a Comment