Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Friend Helaine, June 12, 2012

Chinese food + Trivial Pursuit =
Good Times
My good friend Helaine was born on June 12, 1965.

We shared a love of music. The number one song the week she was born was "Back In My Arms Again" by The Supremes. We were both huge Motown fans, so this pleased her. My birth-week song was "Oh, Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison. She used to joke that this made me definitely "white-bread." 

Of course, this shows that she knew who Roy Orbison was.

We used to talk music all the time. We used to play videogames at the arcade whenever she could talk me in to joining her; she didn't have easy access to a car so she would always call me up to drive her around. I would joke about it, but I didn't really mind....unless I did, in which case I just told her no. :-) When we drove we would switch the radio stations all the time, trying to find "good music." We appreciated Oldies and R&B more than mainstream (80s) "pop" music, but she was a fan of groups like Tears For Fears and Howard Jones and a lot of the British stuff. At the time she was more eclectic than I was; she turned me on to all sorts of groups I hadn't heard of or really appreciated, like The Talking Heads and Steely Dan.

Helaine died on December 8, 2005.

There isn't a day that I don't think of her and miss her.

This damn song is true.

"There's Always Something There To Remind Me"
Written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Sung by Naked Eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment