Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Happy Birthday, Nick Cardy!

One of the first comic book artists I learned to recognize by his style was Nick Cardy. There are two reasons for this. First, he was the major cover artist at DC when I started reading their comics in the early to mid 1970s. For awhile there, if DC published it then the cover was by Jim Aparo, Neal Adams, or Nick Cardy. I basically learned who all of them were! Also, he was the major AQUAMAN and TEEN TITANS artist, two of my favorite comics as a kid. So it was inevitable that I knew who he was.

On October 20 Nick Cardy will turn 92 years old.

He is still with us, but has long-since retired from active, professional work. He grants interviews, such as with Rob Kelly of The Aquaman Shrine, the mp3 of which you can find here, or with the staff of ALTER EGO and TwoMorrow Books (which you can find HERE and HERE).

I hoped that Mr. Cardy would appear at the recent NYC Comic Con but it was not to be. So I will probably never meet him in person. I would love to tell him how much his comics meant to me as a kid, but I guess that's what this blog is for. Thank you, Mr. Cardy, from the bottom of my heart.

Happy Birthday, Nick Cardy!
 
Look at this and tell me it's not a work of art!
"Wonder Girl" as re-created by Nick Cardy
 

The first comic I remember reading....cover by Cardy!! 
  

1 comment:

  1. Nick is just fantastic, and one of my early favorites growing up in the 70's as well. What an incredible eye for detail, and a true master of his craft. Cheers Nick, and I also hope one day to meet you at a convention and tell you how many hours I spent in trees as a kid drooling over your work ~

    ReplyDelete